my blog for Web Layout and Design class (formerly for Digital New Media class).

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Field Trip!


In an earlier post about my trip to Cory Arcangel's opening at Team Gallery, I begged for a closer look at everything. Admittingly, I probably wouldn't have made a second special trip down to the gallery on my own, but today my wish was granted in class. We took a field trip to Team to have Cory himself explain his works and inspirations.

And, boy did it make all the difference. At the opening, when I had such a superficial experience with everything, I left thinking that it seemed like he just took some old films and screwed around with them. Which is absolutely true, BUT, there is purpose involved. The piece that I was especially frustrated with the first time around was the one featuring the Beatles' performance. Now it's the piece I find most interesting. Initially, it seemed like Cory just distorted the footage. Now I understand that it is an ongoing work of art that actually deteriorates in quality every time it plays. Cory wrote a computer code that instructs the footage to compress a little more every time it repeats. So, the digital footage is deteriorating over time. Sound familiar? I wish I knew more about the whole compression aspect in order understand this project more. I was reading some of Cory's press releases at the front desk. In one interview, he accurately stated that most people don't understand the computer technology end of digital art, so even if one accomplishes something very nifty on the technology end of things, most of the general audience won't be able to appreciate it.

Additionally, I like how Cory described the Bruce Springsteen Born to Run Glockenspiel Addendum as being different from his other projects. Instead of screwing up existing material, he added something to existing material. It reminded me of the NYT article Cyberface: New Technology That Captures the Soul, which discusses the possibility of adding addendums to films or co-opting past material for new use using the recently developed Image Metrics technology:

"If we want John Wayne to act alongside Angelina Jolie, we can do that. We can directly mimic the performance of a human being on a model. We can create new scenes for old films, or old scenes for new films. We can have one human being drive another human character."

There's a saying that goes something like everything's been said before. Well, if everything's been done before in traditional art forms, digital technologies provide the ability to go back and re-express it in a novel form.

1 comment:

Cynthia Allen said...

Courtney,

Great work in your descriptiong of the field trip to Cory's work at TEAM.

I really appreciated the thought that went into describing your impressions of his work.

Fabulous job!

Cynthia