my blog for Web Layout and Design class (formerly for Digital New Media class).

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Comics...


I perused the webcomics links on the webcomics wikipedia site and finally found one that did not give me a headache from its homepage: pvcomics.com. The rest that I looked at were all full of advertisements--flashing, dancing, shaking, etc. From reading a bit about other webcomics that wikipedia linked to, but had recently shut down, I guess I can understand why. It seems that most of these sites need tons of ads to stay afloat, as several have not survived. pvcomics is much calmer, more blog-like, more community based, it feels.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of comics, web or otherwise. I don't know why I can't find it within myself to have the same distant appreciation for them as I do other things we've looked at, such as spinning. Aren't video games a big evolution away from comics anyway? I feel ignorant and judgemental for saying it, but, what's the point?

Of course, I'm not against the ideas of superheroes. Heroes sounds like a fun show, very X-men-esque. I like the "multi-episode story arcs that build upon a larger, more encompassing arc" idea. Similar to the multiple realities and simultaneaous universes that we've been talking about all along in class. Maybe that's the point of comics: the plots work in such a way as well? Okay, well I can appreciate the multiple story line concept. Maybe I would like comics...

No comments: